Monday, November 24, 2008

Chihuly at Desert Botanical Gardens

Dale Chihuly is a glass artist who has some extraordinary pieces he brings to exhibit in places around the world. Some of his work will be at the Desert Botanical Gardens through March of '09. Each piece is individually packaged and boxed, then shipped to the site and handled only by his people. That is, each twirly piece of even the largest works. They are assembled on site. Some are lit from within at night and some are lit from spotlights. Some pieces even have a concrete foundation - even though this is a temporary exhibit. You can imagine the costs to bring this all together! DBG is figuring on record attendance, and from the little preview I've seen, they will probably get it.


Near the entrance to the gardens:

Hanging in the Succulent House:


Hanging like an upside-down Christmas tree:
Lit up and reflected on the metal screen overhead:
Close up of the 'upside-down tree' Remember each twisty piece is individually wrapped and boxed! Amazing how nothing gets broken (actually I believe I heard that one had broken, but I don't know if it was in transport, in removing from the box or in set up (dropped?)


I hope to get some decent shots of the complete exhibit this week....


I also hope to get some good Zoolights pictures this week....


I also hope to post a nice family shot from Thanksgiving.

No comments: