Sunday, April 3, 2011

Ocotillo

I know I probably put pictures of ocotillo flowers up before....I know I've taken them year after year.  I don't think I've ever posted anything about making a living fence of ocotillo. 



 Springtime is a busy season here where so many things bloom quickly.

At Pueblo Grande Museum there is a demonstration garden with a living fence around it to help prevent rodents from eating everything in the garden. It doesn't work.  But it does look pretty nice.
Canes are planted and watered and these have been wired together to help keep things orderly.

Here you can see some of the gaps in the fence where some canes didn't take. I cut about 45 canes in late December and planted them into some of the gaps around mid-January.  Some of the canes I planted are flowering, and hopefully, most will survive the summer and start growing roots.  I'll know for sure once leaves come out on them.  Traditionally, we have little success transplanting ocotillo.  This setting where I can get water to them on a fairly regular basis should help.

No comments: